Deep breathing can reduce your anxiety
It only takes a few minutes and it is easy to learn. The main idea is to breathe deeply and slowly from your stomach. Breathing this way will mean you will be less tense, you can breathe easier and you feel less anxious. Once you have learned how it’s done, the next time you feel stressed out, take a minute to slow down and breathe deeply.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Sit comfortably with your back straight. Put one hand on your stomach.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose and you should feel your stomach rise up.
- Hold your breathe for a couple of seconds.
- Breathe out slowly through your nose, pushing out as much air as you can while contracting your stomach muscles. You should feel your stomach move down.
- Continue this exercise and count slowly to 3 as you breathe out – your stomach should always move more than your chest. As you get better at deep breathing you might want to count for longer.
If you feel that you are not comfortable sitting up or that you can’t feel your stomach moving then try lying down on the floor – this works just as well and it may help you to relax more.